Thursday, August 30, 2007

Week 1 Rundown: Thursday and Friday

You mean I DON'T have to write whole paragraphs? Anyway, no rankings (yet), 119'll be up, don't you worry. HOORAY ALPHABETICAL ORDER!

THURSDAY
7:00 PM

Miami of Ohio @ Ball State
MAC parity alert! Ball State has a definite chance of an upset, if this is one, but the Cardinals defense was horrible last year and Miami has potent weapons at QB and RB, so I'll give the RedHawks the edge.
My Pick: Miami of Ohio
Confidence (out of 5): 2

Buffalo @ Rutgers
When I said Rutgers was overrated, they're not THIS overrated. Buffalo has a sliver of a chance, though.
My Pick: Rutgers
Confidence: 4

Southeast Missouri State @ Cincinnati
I think I may have said something at some point about Cincinnati actually being less boring this year. Just thinking about this game makes me yawn, so I may have to take that back.
My Pick: Cincinnati
Confidence: 5

Tulsa @ Louisiana-Monroe
Could be an upset special. Tulsa easily has the talent edge, but is learning a new system on offense, while ULM has a high-powered attack. I'll still pick Tulsa, but since the Sun Belt usually has one or two inexplicable wins a year over a solid mid-major, this could help fill the quota.
My Pick: Tulsa
Confidence: 1



7:30 PM

Murray State @ Louisville
It's a close one, but...
My Pick: Louisville
Confidence: 5


8:00 PM

Kent State @ Iowa State
Kent State's an upper-echelon MAC team (or so I think -- God, the parity in the MAC is frustrating for prognosticating), and while ISU has some talented players, as a team? Ehhhh. Cyclones have a chance being at home and perhaps wanting to make a big debut for coach Gene Chizik, though.
My Pick: Kent State
Confidence: 1

LSU @ Mississippi State
Mississippi State is a much better team than people think. LSU will almost surely destroy them.
My Pick: LSU
Confidence: 4

Southeastern Louisiana @ New Mexico State
Hal Mumme left Southeastern Louisiana after the 2004 season to take the head coaching job at New Mexico State. QB Chase Holbrook followed him there and wound up being one of the best in the WAC last year. To try and get revenge, Southeastern Louisiana will try to hold them under 500 yards.
My Pick: New Mexico State
Confidence: 5


8:05 PM

UNLV @ Utah State
Both teams have resons for optimism, but UNLV's a league above USU. The Rebels are looking to make it to a bowl; the Aggies are looking to fend off Louisiana Tech and Idaho.
My Pick: UNLV
Confidence: 3



9:00 PM

Weber State @ Boise State
A Weber State upset here would be like Boise's upset of Oklahoma last year. Just without the chance of happening.
My Pick: Boise State
Confidence: 5


10:00 PM

Utah @ Oregon State
An interesting game! Utah's a darkhorse among the mid-major ranks, and while Oregon State has been getting some darkhorse love themselves, ehhhhh. OSU's star WR Sammie Stroughter won't be with them, and coach Mike Riley plans to use the first half to figure out which QB to go with for the season. Which...seems like an interesting time to do things. And a horrible idea. And for prediction's sake, I believe that Riley will go with the QB that will result in them losing.
My Pick: Utah
Confidence: 2



FRIDAY
7:30 PM

Navy @ Temple
Temple has their first MAC game against Buffalo next week. They'll probably commemorate their departure from Independent status with a game that should be like much of their Independent tenure: a crushing defeat.
My Pick: Navy
Confidence: 4



8:00 PM

Washington @ Syracuse
CRIPPLE FIGHT! Washington probably won't have a good year, but they have some talent on both sides of the ball. New Huskies QB Jake Locker may struggle, but even if he does, he should be more productive than the anemic Syracuse offense.
My Pick: Washington
Confidence: 2

No comments: