Friday, December 21, 2007

BOWLNANZA: The Saturday Bowls

Sorry, but I'm overworked, exhausted, and sick with something, so I'm just going to bang these out quick and hope I'm better tomorrow. Not that tomorrow's matchups are all that deserving of much attention:

THE PAPAJOHNS.COM BOWL
Cincinnati (9-3) vs. Southern Miss (7-5)
USM pretty much played to their record, while Cincy is probably closer to 7-5ish - that offense is excellent, but their defense has been only decent yardage-wise while elite scoring-wise. So there should be some regression to the mean there. Cincy could easily win this in a blowout, but I'll call for the Golden Eagles to upset a slightly overrated team and sending out coach Jeff Bower in style.
My Pick: Southern Miss
Confidence (out of 5): 1

THE NEW MEXICO BOWL
Nevada (6-6) vs. New Mexico (8-4)
Despite the homefield advantage, I think Nevada could win this one and make it ugly. The records should probably be reversed, as Nevada has an excellent offense and a defense that gave up more points than it statistically should've - plus UNM has a lethargic offense that will only be worse without RB Rodney Ferguson.
My Pick: Nevada
Confidence: 3

THE LAS VEGAS BOWL
#20 BYU (10-2) vs. UCLA (6-6)
It's actually kind of a shame that BYU, after an excellent year, will have their bowl wasted on a team that may have only been 6-6 in the MWC themselves. Yawn.
My Pick: BYU
Confidence: 4

No comments: