Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Feely Top 25: After Week 2

Hey! I completely forgot about this. Quickly, now:

#1 USC (#1 LW, Week 2: BYE) - Still think they're the best team. Obviously.
#2 Ohio State (#2, W @ Texas 24-7) - Almost made them #1, but I still have lingering doubts about the defense. A lot less now, but still some.
#3 Florida (#6, W vs. Central Florida 42-0) - Dominated what should be a decent UCF team; I still think they have the most talent, but insert Chris Leak/A-Rod comparison here.
#4 Auburn (#7, W @ Mississippi State 34-0) - The Wazzou game impressed me more than the Mississippi State game, but Cox/Irons/Defense still makes this a sexy pick.
#5 LSU (#8, W vs. Arizona 45-3) - Great great great win, but I still have my doubts about QB JaMarcus Russell.
#6 Notre Dame (#5, W vs. Penn State 41-17) - Meh. I don't think they're beating USC, and the schedule in general worries me. Neither win impresses me as much as the SEC teams have, so UND gets leapfrogged.
#7 Texas (#3, L vs. Ohio State 7-24) - They still have elite talent, and I think they'll be fine in the long-run of the year. Still, they're 1-1 now, so I had to drop them a bit.
#8 Michigan (#9, W vs. Central Michigan 41-17) - Rushing and defense, rushing and defense. And occasionally, Chad Henne.
#9 Oklahoma (#4, W vs. Washington 37-20) - Well, I still think Texas is the better team, so they had to be below #7. OU should be winning on rushing and defense, but they're just winning on Adrian Peterson, and I'm worried about that holding up.
#10 West Virginia (#11, W vs. Eastern Washington 52-3) - Steve Slaton frightens me. I'm still skeptical about them running the table, but the teams below them worry me more.
#11 Iowa (#12, W @ Syracuse 20-13 OT) - Drew Tate better be healthy. The Syracuse game even being close was all the fault of backup QB Jason Manson.
#12 Louisville (#13, W @ Temple 62-0) - Almost bumped them down to 13, but Louisville actually has a running game.
#13 Florida State (#10, W vs. Troy 17-24) - Only 83 rushing yards against TROY?
#14 Miami (#14, W vs. Florida A&M 51-10) - It's a I-AA, and FSU still beat them, so they stay here.
#15 Tennessee (#15, W vs. Air Force 31-30) - I personally feel this was an abberation, and I can't knock them lower than...
#16 Cal (#16, W vs. Minnesota 42-17) - ...the team they crushed in Week 1.
#17 Oregon (#22, W @ Fresno State 31-24) - Impressed once again, and schedule/injury questions about the others leapfrog them here.
#18 Nebraska (#21, W vs. Nicholls State 56-7) - Looked great and I think they're improved, but they've played Louisiana Tech and Nicholls State.
#19 Georgia (#18, W @ South Carolina 18-0) - The defense is impressive, but QB Joe Tereshinski's injury and Matt Stafford's subsequent bad performance makes me worried for the near future.
#20 Virginia Tech (#19, W @ North Carolina 35-10) - They've played Northeastern and UNC. One has a I-AA quarterback, and the other doesn't have Joe Dailey.
#21 Arizona State (#23, W vs. Nevada 52-21) - Great rebound win, but Oregon's continued performance leaves them as the #4 Pac-10 team.
#22 Boise State (NR, W vs. Oregon State 42-14) - Just absolutely depantsed Oregon State. The best mid-major in the land!
#23 Clemson (#17, L @ Boston College 34-33 2OT) - Clemson lost despite being the better team, and they still have more than enough talent.
#24 TCU (#25, W vs. UC Davis 46-13) - Still not overly impressive, but still could go undefeated.
#25 Penn State (#20, L @ Notre Dame 17-41) - They should be fine in the long-term, and it was them or Texas Tech, and hey, Penn State has a defense.

OUT: Texas Tech (#24, W @ UTEP 38-35 OT)

No comments: