Thursday, November 02, 2006

Week 10 Rundown: Saturday and Sunday

SATURDAY
12:00 PM

Ball State (3-6) @ #1 Michigan (9-0)
Uhhhhh no.
My Pick: Michigan
Confidence (out of 5): 5

Maryland (6-2) @ #15 Clemson (7-2)
Who knows with the ACC. Maryland's pretty extremely lucky to be 4-4, let alone 6-2. Plus with the game at Clemson, plus with the Tigers probably looking to re-establish themselves, this could be an ugly one.
My Pick: Clemson
Confidence: 3

Penn State (6-3) @ #18 Wisconsin (8-1)
Wisconsin didn't look impressive at all against Illinois, so there's a chance for the mild upset. Wisconsin's schedule has been pretty weak, although that huge win against Indiana looks a lot better now, and they've been doing kind of a mini-Michigan impression. Wisconsin's definitely vulnerable, but the only thing keeping me from picking the upset is a big one: I absolutely do not trust Anthony Morelli to not implode and throw 3 picks in anything resembling a big-game situation.
My Pick: Wisconsin
Confidence: 2

#24 Missouri (7-2) @ Nebraska (6-2)
Two above-average teams capable of having bad days. Push goes to the home team!
My Pick: Nebraska
Confidence: 1

Baylor (4-5) @ Texas Tech (5-4)
Could've been a fun shootout before Baylor QB Shawn Bell got knocked out for the year. Should be a blowout now, though.
My Pick: Texas Tech
Confidence: 3

Virginia (4-5) @ Florida State (4-4)
I don't even know anymore. FSU's even more hopeless than Miami, but they still have defensive talent. And I really don't trust UVA to do anything against a defense with, you know, talent.
My Pick: Florida State
Confidence: 3

Indiana (5-4) @ Minnesota (3-6)
Indiana is actually the way better team, as Minnesota may be the worst squad in the Big Ten. Although Northwestern and Michigan State's coaching staff are giving them a run. There's been lots of retardedness this season, so the Gophers still have a chance, but the Hoosiers should win.
My Pick: Indiana
Confidence: 2

Pittsburgh (6-2) @ South Florida (5-3)
USF's been a one-man team, and that one man team didn't looks so great against Cincinnati, which doesn't bode well here. Pitt seems to be a pretty good team in need of a signature win.
My Pick: Pittsburgh
Confidence: 3


12:05 PM

Northwestern (2-7) @ Iowa (6-3)
Iowa's done nothing to instill confidence, but Northwestern? Very bad.
My Pick: Iowa
Confidence: 3


12:30 PM

#5 Florida (7-1) @ Vanderbilt (4-5)
Vanderbilt's wholly decent, and QB Chris Nickson can be a one-man team at times. However, I don't think the Commodores will be able to do much on either side of the ball. Even if Chris Nickson is good, Chris Leak will probably be better.
My Pick: Florida
Confidence: 3

Mississippi State (2-7) @ Alabama (6-3)
Alabama's defense are their usual above-average selves, but there are still lots of questions about that offense. There are no questions about Mississippi State's offense, though. It's very bad.
My Pick: Alabama
Confidence: 3


1:00 PM

Bowling Green (4-5) @ Akron (3-5)
BGSU has a shot, between having to prove themselves and the MAC's general wackiness, but on general principle, I can't pick a team that just lost to Temple.
My Pick: Akron
Confidence: 1

Kent State (5-3) @ Buffalo (1-7)
Burning question: Is Buffalo the new Temple?
My Pick: Kent State
Confidence: 4

Central Michigan (5-3) @ Temple (1-8)
If they win THIS, then I give up.
My Pick: Central Michigan
Confidence: 4

Navy (5-3) @ Duke (0-8)
Burning question: Is Duke the new Temple?
My Pick: Navy
Confidence: 4

Ohio (6-3) @ Eastern Michigan (1-7)
Burning question: Is...you get the gist. But man, what a murderer's row of crap teams. EMU's probably the best of the four, but Ohio is suddenly the best team in the MAC.
My Pick: Ohio
Confidence: 4

Georgia (6-3) @ Kentucky (4-4)
Yeah, Kentucky sucks. There's really not much to say. UGA is only like, a third of a team, as all they have is a pretty good defense. And that's a third more than the Wildcats.
My Pick: Georgia
Confidence: 2


2:00 PM

Kansas (4-5) @ Iowa State (3-6)
Two disappointing teams. Kansas has a QB situation in flux, Iowa State's played the harder schedule, and the Cyclones are at home, so that's who I'm picking.
My Pick: Iowa State
Confidence: 2

Northwestern State @ Mississippi (2-7)
Yep.
My Pick: Mississippi
Confidence: 3


2:30 PM

Arkansas State (5-3) @ #6 Auburn (8-1)
Arkansas State just got shut out at Florida Atlantic, so uh...no.
My Pick: Auburn
Confidence: 5

North Carolina (1-7) @ #11 Notre Dame (7-1)
I think Brady Quinn might, just might, be able to outduel Joe Dailey.
My Pick: Notre Dame
Confidence: 4


3:00 PM

San Diego State (1-6) @ Wyoming (4-5)
Yeah, that optimism for SDSU, sure didn't last. Wyoming is decent but inconsistent.
My Pick: Wyoming
Confidence: 3

TCU (5-2) @ UNLV (1-7)
Yawn. TCU's nothing special. UNLV, however, is nothing. At least this year.
My Pick: TCU
Confidence: 3


3:05 PM

Hawaii (6-2) @ Utah State (1-7)
PASSTASTIC!
My Pick: Hawaii
Confidence: 4


3:30 PM

#2 Ohio State (9-0) @ Illinois (2-7)
Illinois may make a run, but they'll blow it. Because, well, that's what Ron Zook does. But even so, they probably won't even get that far.
My Pick: Ohio State
Confidence: 4

#9 LSU (6-2) @ #10 Tennessee (7-1)
Tennessee beat Cal, and after that they...they...they. LSU's vanished against anyone of note, but they've impressed in their 6 games against crap competition. Which is 5 more than Tennessee's impressed in. If LSU plays at 2/3 the level they did against anyone but Auburn or Florida, they should win easy.
My Pick: LSU
Confidence: 2

Washington (4-5) @ #23 Oregon (6-2)
Washington's a lost cause without QB Isaiah Stanback. Oregon may have lost to Washington State, but Washington is no Washington State.
My Pick: Oregon
Confidence: 3

Kansas State (5-4) @ Colorado (1-8)
Bad @ Worse. I'll go with bad.
My Pick: Kansas State
Confidence: 1

Florida Atlantic (3-5) @ Middle Tennessee State (5-3)
MTSU's probably the best team in the Sun Belt. Whatever that's worth.
My Pick: Middle Tennessee State
Confidence: 2

Tulsa (7-1) @ Houston (6-3)
These two teams look to be C-USA's best. There's too much parity in C-USA for a team to go undefeated, and this is Tulsa's last big test, and Tulsa's undefeated, so...
My Pick: Houston
Confidence: 1

Miami of Ohio (1-8) @ Western Michigan (6-2)
The records pretty much speak for themselves.
My Pick: Western Michigan
Confidence: 2

Purdue (5-4) @ Michigan State (4-5)
PUCKER PUCKER PUCKER
My Pick: Purdue
Confidence: 2


4:00 PM

East Carolina (4-4) @ Central Florida (2-6)
ECU's win over USM makes them the class of the paritylicious C-USA East. The Pirates should win, but again, paritylicious.
My Pick: East Carolina
Confidence: 2

Louisiana-Lafayette (4-3) @ Troy (3-4)
ULL lost to MTSU, but the Ragin' Cajuns still have the only out-of-conference wins of note for the Sun Belt. Troy? Meh.
My Pick: Louisiana-Lafayette
Confidence: 2


4:05 PM

Arizona State (5-3) @ Oregon State (5-3)
Arizona's upgraded their game to pretty good, as has Oregon State. But one of these teams is hungry, and one is due for a letdown.
My Pick: Arizona State
Confidence: 1


5:00 PM

Arizona (3-5) @ Washington State (6-3)
Wazzou almost cracked my top 25, so I obviously think they're a pretty good team. Arizona's disappointed and played below their talent, so there's a chance for some regression to the mean since Wazzou's still vulnerable. Just a chance, though.
My Pick: Washington State
Confidence: 3


5:05 PM

Nevada (5-3) @ Idaho (4-5)
Idaho's one of the better teams in the mess of the WAC past the big three teams. However, Nevada is one of those big three.
My Pick: Nevada
Confidence: 3


6:30 PM

#25 BYU (6-2) @ Colorado State (4-4)
BYU's far and away the class of the MWC. Colorado State as of a month or so ago could've had a chance, but the Rams have just fallen apart in conference play.
My Pick: BYU
Confidnece: 2


7:00 PM

Oklahoma State (5-3) @ #4 Texas (8-1)
OK State's been on a tear lately, mostly thanks to QB Bobby Reid. Nebraska and Mizzou are better teams, but OK State's been on a hotter streak, so this could be the team to knock off Texas. Probably not, though.
My Pick: Texas
Confidence: 2

#7 USC (6-1) @ Stanford (0-8)
AND USC's angry. Uh oh. Also, Stanford is probably the new Temple.
My Pick: USC
Confidence: 5

#20 Boston College (7-1) @ Wake Forest (7-1)
BC has some fluky wins over good teams. However, all Wake has is...a really low strength of schedule.
My Pick: Boston College
Confidence: 3

#22 Georgia Tech (6-2) @ NC State (3-5)
Ooh, let's play "What does each team have?" again. Georgia Tech has Calvin Johnson. NC State has...lost all momentum.
My Pick: Georgia Tech
Confidence: 3

Louisiana Tech (2-6) @ North Texas (2-6)
Ew.
My Pick: North Texas
Confidence: 1


7:30 PM

Tulane (3-5) @ Marshall (3-5)
Two competitively below-average teams that have each had players blow up lately (Tulane QB Lester Ricard and Marshall RB Ahmad Bradshaw.) It's pretty much a push, so I'll just go with my gut.
My Pick: Tulane
Confidence: 1


7:45 PM

#13 Arkansas (7-1) @ South Carolina (5-3)
Yeah, the Razorbacks are due to be knocked down a few pegs. Gamecocks are as good a team as any to do so, outperforming but still losing to a Tennessee team that's probably much better than the Hogs.
My Pick: South Carolina
Confidence: 2


8:00 PM

UCLA (4-4) @ #8 Cal (7-1)
Karl Dorrell has never beaten a team with a winning record on the road. Not changin' here.
My Pick: Cal
Confidence: 4

#16 Oklahoma (6-2) @ #17 Texas A&M (8-1)
TAMU has shown some offensive versatility, first being a heavy running team and now winning on the arm and legs of QB Stephen McGee. OU's defense gave up a lot of yardage, but forced a lot of turnovers, against Mizzou, and I trust in the former to repeat more than the latter.
My Pick: Texas A&M
Confidence: 1

#21 Virginia Tech (6-2) @ Miami (5-3)
The letdown effect works against VT, but Miami's whole season works against the 'Canes. Miami actually performed pretty well against GT, but almost lost to Duke, so their inconsistency prevents me from picking up the upset.
My Pick: Virginia Tech
Confidence: 1

San Jose State (5-2) @ New Mexico State (2-6)
I still can't accept SJSU being bowl eligible, but they're facing a team whose two wins are against I-AAs, so...well, here we are.
My Pick: San Jose State
Confidence: 2


9:00 PM

Rice (3-5) @ UTEP (4-4)
UTEP's better than that record. Rice is surprisingly improved, which means they're as good as that 3-5.
My Pick: UTEP
Confidence: 3


SUNDAY
8:00 PM

Southern Miss (4-4) @ Memphis (1-7)
USM's their usual defense-oriented self. Memphis is...lost without DeAngelo Williams.
My Pick: Southern Miss
Confidence: 4

No comments: