Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Week 8 Rundown: Saturday and Sunday

SATURDAY
12:00 PM

Indiana (4-3) @ #2 Ohio State (7-0)
Indiana is...decent. I won't go too far just yet. But the Big Ten has a soft underbelly, so they'll be able to beat the Minnesotas and Northwesterns, or maybe even the Purdue. s. But, yeah, anyway, Ohio State. Even if the Hoosiers get something going offensively, I doubt they'll be able to stop the Buckeyes.
My Pick: Ohio State
Confidence (out of 5): 4

#5 Texas (6-1) @ #18 Nebraska (6-1)
Oooh. Nebraska's looked average against stiff competition, but really, Texas allowed 31 to Baylor. Texas should win this, but I could very easily see one or two breaks leading to a Huskers win. Could very easily be a shootout either way, too.
My Pick: Texas
Confidence: 2

#11 Louisville (6-0) @ Syracuse (3-4)
Cuse is actually exhibiting some offense here and there. Gasp. Louisville scraped one out at Cincy, so there may be some vulnerability, but Brohm's probably just getting back into a rhythm. And if he does during this game, uh oh.
My Pick: Louisville
Confidence: 3

#22 Rutgers (6-0) @ #20 Pittsburgh (6-1)
Rutgers has the #1 scoring defense and #2 yardage defense in the nation (behind LSU.) That...probably says more about their weak schedule than anything. If the Scarlet Knights win here, I'll start taking them more seriously. However, here, especially on the road, is where I think they'll be exposed.
My Pick: Pittsburgh
Confidence: 3

#21 Wisconsin (6-1) @ Purdue (5-2)
Purdue's all offense, no defense. This could be close, but the Wisconsin offense is no slouch, and I could see them stopping the Boilermaker offense enough to get the win. So I'll go with the better team.
My Pick: Wisconsin
Confidence: 2

Illinois (2-5) @ Penn State (4-3)
Well, even if Morelli doesn't start, I'm sure whoever is QB will do a great job of...handing off to Tony Hunt. There's talent with the Illini (JUICE!), but not this year, not against this team.
My Pick: Penn State
Confidence: 3

NC State (3-3) @ Maryland (4-2)
I'm banking that NC State's improvement under Daniel Evans is legit. Though really, either way, Maryland? Not very good.
My Pick: NC State
Confidence: 2

Michigan State (3-4) @ Northwestern (2-5)
Even the Michigan State coaches aren't this bad. I sincerely hope.
My Pick: Michigan State
Confidence: 2


12:30 PM

Mississippi (2-5) @ #17 Arkansas (5-1)
Mississippi has kept the scores closer than their horrible, horrible performances would suggest. However, they should get killed here, especially if the Rebels' season is just building up to all their luck running out at once.
My Pick: Arkansas
Confidence: 3


1:00 PM

Mississippi State (2-5) @ #25 Georgia (5-2)
Georgia has no offense. Mississippi State has...well, if Georgia has no offense, I guess Mississippi State has negative offense, then.
My Pick: Georgia
Confidence: 3

Miami (4-2) @ Duke (0-6)
This would be a hilarious fight. Although watch out for those Duke boys in groups, they'll ra....nah, I won't say it.
My Pick: Miami
Confidence: 4


2:00 PM

Western Michigan (4-2) @ Ball State (2-5)
Insert comment about Ball State's horrible horrible horrible horrible pass defense here. (Horrible.)
My Pick: Western Michigan
Confidence: 3

Buffalo (1-5) @ Ohio (4-3)
I love Buffalo, they make games so easy to pick.
My Pick: Ohio
Confidence: 4

Kansas State (4-3) @ Missouri (6-1)
KSU's actually looked decent, but you never get a second chance to make a first impression, and the Wildcats almost lost to Illinois State in Week 1. Mizzou's solidly above-average, and while KSU has a chance, I think it's significantly less of one at Missouri.
My Pick: Missouri
Confidence: 3


2:30 PM

Tulane (2-4) @ #7 Auburn (6-1)
Uhhhhhhh yeah this is a mismatch.
My Pick: Auburn
Confidence: 5

UCLA (4-2) @ #14 Notre Dame (5-1)
This could've been a fun shootout before UCLA's quarterback woes. Now it'll just be another BIG HEISMAN WORTHY WIN THAT PROVES NOTRE DAME DESERVES A BCS GAME!!!!!
My Pick: Notre Dame
Confidence: 4


3:00 PM

UNLV (1-5) @ BYU (4-2)
BYU or Air Force is probably the best team in the MWC. Controversial, I know, especially since they're the two teams undefeated in the conference. Anyway, UNLV's pass defense doesn't seem too great or anything, and it'll probably look a lot worse after this game.
My Pick: BYU
Confidence: 3

SMU (4-3) @ East Carolina (2-4)
ECU's definitely played a tougher slate, but SMU's looked like a pretty good team since their awful season start. Both teams are probably even, but ECU somehow managed to be the only team to slow down West Virginia, and the Pirates are at home.
My Pick: East Carolina
Confidence: 1

Toledo (2-5) @ Eastern Michigan (0-6)
Toledo looks like they've imploded after winning against Kansas and I-AA McNeese State. EMU, meanwhile, has had some bad losses, but looked good in their last game, a close defeat at Bowling Green. Toledo's probably the better and more talented team, but again, they just seem lost at the moment.
My Pick: Eastern Michigan
Confidence: 1

South Carolina (4-2) @ Vanderbilt (3-4)
SC looks to be getting things together with Syvelle Newton at QB. Vandy can obviously pull of the big win, but I am going to go with the surging Cocks. There was no verb I could use there that wouldn't have been suggestive.
My Pick: South Carolina
Confidence: 2


3:05 PM

Kansas (3-4) @ Baylor (3-4)
Kansas has had some close losses, but Baylor should've had one too. Against Texas. This could go either way, but I still feel weird picking who I'm about to pick.
My Pick: Baylor
Confidence: 1

Temple (0-7) @ Northern Illinois (4-3)
Would it be out of the question for Garrett Wolfe to run for 600 and put him back on his previous pace?
My Pick: Northern Illinois
Confidence: 5


3:30 PM

#23 Iowa (5-2) @ #1 Michigan (7-0)
I find this game more worrisome for Michigan than the PSU one by a bunch. I get the feeling Drew Tate is due, and with the Michigan run defense, well, that's their only chance. And even then, probably still only a chance.
My Pick: Michigan
Confidence: 2

Washington (4-3) @ #9 California (6-1)
When a one-man team is lost for the season, well, whoops.
My Pick: Cal
Confidence: 4

Alabama (5-2) @ #12 Tennessee (5-1)
A case could be made that Alabama's better than Georgia. Actually, thinking about that, that's probably true. Tennessee's hung their hat on that Cal win, and, well, beating a Georgia team that doesn't look so impressive now. Still, even if this is closer to a pick 'em than the polls would indicate, Tennessee's probably the better team, and the Vols are at home.
My Pick: Tennessee
Confidence: 1

Stanford (0-7) @ Arizona State (3-3)
Stanford's QB is out for the year. Yes, that was Stanford WITH a quarterback.
My Pick: Arizona State
Confidence: 4

TCU (3-2) @ Army (3-4)
TCU's thoroughly decent, probably above-average. Army, not so much.
My Pick: TCU
Confidence: 3

Boston College (5-1) @ Florida State (4-2)
The Clemson win was gift-wrapped, but BC's win against BYU and loss against NC State look better now. I guess I buy BC moreso now, but still. I have no real evidence to back it up, unless Florida State's prestige counts during this mediocre season, but I've got a feeling...
My Pick: Florida State
Confidence: 2

Texas Tech (4-3) @ Iowa State (3-4)
ISU's another one of those teams that I don't think can stop the Red Raider passing attack. However, ISU will almost definitely put some points up, and said Texas Tech passing attack has more of a tendency to beat itself than in previous years. Plus, you know, TTU lost to Colorado. But still.
My Pick: Texas Tech
Confidence: 1

North Dakota State @ Minnesota (2-5)
Yep.
My Pick: Minnesota
Confidence: 5


4:00 PM

Rice (2-5) @ Central Florida (2-4)
UCF's actually been pretty abysmal all year. Rice has shown inconsistent flashes, and is coming off a big win against UAB, but there are two reasons I'm picking against them: They're on the road, and they're still Rice.
My Pick: Central Florida
Confidence: 1

Colorado State (4-2) @ Wyoming (3-4)
Two pretty good mid-majors. Not much separating them, as CSU's worst loss was to Nevada, while Wyoming's played everyone close, but Colorado State has had the stronger schedule. I'll go with the team with the better track record, though a result either way wouldn't surprise me.
My Pick: Colorado State
Confidence: 1


5:00 PM

#13 Oregon (5-1) @ Washington State (4-3)
Oregon seems to kindasortamaybe have kind of a defense. Which spells trouble for Pac 10 teams! Wazzou could be the #4 team in the Pac 10, so an upset isn't out of the question, but I'm not picking it.
My Pick: Oregon
Confidence: 2


5:05 PM

#15 Boise State (7-0) @ Idaho (4-3)
Idaho may be the surprise team of the WAC. Oh, wait, San Jose State, whoops. God the WAC is weird. Anyway, yeah, Boise's way better than everyone in the conference.
My Pick: Boise State
Confidence: 4


6:00 PM

Miami of Ohio (1-6) @ Akron (2-4)
Uhhhh yeah Miami of Ohio is sadly pretty bad. Akron has also disappointed so far, but they're at least pretty decent. And at home!
My Pick: Akron
Confidence: 2


7:00 PM

Colorado (1-6) @ #16 Oklahoma (4-2)
It probably won't be apparent exactly how much the loss of Peterson will hurt OU until they face their first test. This probably ain't it.
My Pick: Oklahoma
Confidence: 3

#24 Texas A&M (6-1) @ Oklahoma State (4-2)
The performance of TAMU QB Stephen McGee last week is what finally sold me on the Aggies. If McGee falters, I could easily see OK State pulling off the win. However, OK State may not be able to stop the A&M running game either way, and while I don't think A&M is a top 25-worthy team without a passing game, I think they could still win without it.
My Pick: Texas A&M
Confidence: 2

Oregon State (3-3) @ Arizona (3-4)
Two about even teams that will probably hover around .500 at the end of the year. Arizona beat BYU at home, so they get the benefit of the doubt.
My Pick: Arizona
Confidence: 1

UTEP (4-2) @ Houston (4-3)
Two inconsistent teams in the upper tier of C-USA. Houston especially has been slipping lately. Regression to the mean for both Houston and Jordan Palmer's interception total + Houston at home =:
My Pick: Houston
Confidence: 2

Middle Tennessee State (3-3) @ Louisiana-Monroe (1-5)
The Sun Belt is mostly full of parity, but ULM's pretty awful.
My Pick: Middle Tennessee State
Confidence: 2

Utah State (1-6) @ Louisiana Tech (1-5)
LA Tech's played 4 teams in my top 25, so it's kind of hard to get a handle on how good (or not good) they are. USU's comparatively rolling from their offensive impotence at the beginning of the year. I'll go with the devil (or disappointing WAC team) I know.
My Pick: Utah State
Confidence: 1

Marshall (1-5) @ UAB (3-4)
Basically, bad @ inconsistent. Inconsistent's bad days <>
7:05 PM

North Texas (2-4) @ Arkansas State (4-2)
ASU or ULL are the definite Sun Belt favorites right now. AK State running game hooray! Usual caveats about Sun Belt talent parity apply.
My Pick: Arkansas State
Confidence: 2


7:45 PM

#19 Georgia Tech (5-1) @ #8 Clemson (6-1)
Calvin Johnson's still a beast, but the team as a whole can be very inconsistent. See: the Maryland game. I trust Clemson to show up much more, and with the Tigers at home, I can't really envision the upset.
My Pick: Clemson
Confidence: 3


8:00 PM

Air Force (3-2) @ San Diego State (0-5)
Air Force is as good as anyone in the conference. On the other side...well, patience, SDSU fans, patience.
My Pick: Air Force
Confidence: 3

Hawaii (4-2) @ New Mexico State (2-4)
What's the over-under on yardage here? 1400 combined? Basically, this is going to come down to a game of "My passing attack is better than your passing attack." And, well, Hawaii's is way better.
My Pick: Hawaii
Confidence: 4

Tulsa (5-1) @ Memphis (1-5)
Tulsa's rolled in C-USA, and right now looks like the class of the conference. Memphis is...depressing.
My Pick: Tulsa
Confidence: 4


9:00 PM

#10 LSU (5-2) @ Fresno State (1-5)
Maybe last year. Hahahahaha no not even then. The only question here is if Fresno or Louisiana-Lafayette is the worst team LSU has on their schedule. Just gotta keep it within 42, Bulldogs.
My Pick: LSU
Confidence: 4


SUNDAY
8:00 PM

South Florida (5-2) @ Cincinnati (3-4)
USF QB Matt Grothe has been a one-man team and a pretty big surprise. And he looked mostly fine last week against UNC. Cincinnati is decent, but so boringly so I don't really have much to say about them. They could win, but USF is better.
My Pick: South Florida
Confidence: 2

No comments: