Thursday, October 26, 2006

Week 9 Rundown: Saturday and Sunday

SATURDAY
12:00 PM

Northwestern (2-6) @ #1 Michigan (8-0)
Come on now. Northwestern couldn't beat Michigan STATE. With a 35 point lead. Then again, stranger things have happened. No they haven't.
My Pick: Michigan
Confidence (out of 5): 5

#12 Notre Dame (6-1) @ Navy (5-2)
Sigh. Navy could've had a chance with QB Brian Hampton, but given how bad they looked without him against Rutgers...
My Pick: Notre Dame
Confidence: 4

#16 Oklahoma (5-2) @ #22 Missouri (7-1)
I really have no fucking clue. It really depends on if Oklahoma's defense is now legitimately good, or just happened to play Colorado. Since they kind of stopped Texas, I'll lean towards the former. However, even then, Missouri still has a chance. So, let's do some fun math here. If OU's defense is legit, OU has an 80% chance of winning. If it isn't, Missouri probably has a 95% or so chance of winning. And those averages equal...
My Pick: Missouri
Confidence: 1

Illinois (2-6) @ #17 Wisconsin (7-1)
Illinois has fallen back to earth, and even if they returned to a better form, the Wisconsin defense would probably shut them down.
My Pick: Wisconsin
Confidence: 3

Northern Illinois (5-3) @ #25 Iowa (5-3)
Iowa probably isn't that great, but NIU hasn't done much of anything this year. Well, outside of Garrett Wolfe, but even he's been shut down the last two weeks. Wolfe may return to form, but even so, I doubt the upset will happen.
My Pick: Iowa
Confidence: 3

Syracuse (3-5) @ Cincinnati (4-4)
Boring, mediocre teams. I can't even make fun of Syracuse's lack of offense anymore, really. The push that is double apathy goes to the home team.
My Pick: Cincinnati
Confidence: 1

Michigan State (4-4) @ Indiana (4-4)
Michigan State should win this easily based on talent. And lose this horrible based on coaching. The Spartans were down 35 to Northwestern and all, and probably got lucky (you think?) to beat the Wildcats. And Indiana, oddly, is much better than Northwestern.
My Pick: Indiana
Confidence: 1

NC State (3-4) @ Virginia (3-5)
Virginia's win over UNC means nothing. The momentum of NCSU's quarterback change seems pretty much lost, but they're still facing the Cavaliers, who are the worst team in the ACC who doesn't have a legendary basketball coach.
My Pick: NC State
Confidence: 2

Penn State (5-3) @ Purdue (5-3)
Purdue's all high-powered offense, no-powered defense. Hey, maybe the offense is powered on the defense's suffering! Anyway, that Purdue high-powered offense has been getting shut down lately. Whoops!
My Pick: Penn State
Confidence: 2


12:30 PM

#8 Auburn (7-1) @ Mississippi (2-6)
Ole Miss is awful. Auburn can be inconsistent, but this is one of those times where it doesn't matter.
My Pick: Auburn
Confidence: 4


1:00 PM

Buffalo (1-6) @ #20 Boston College (6-1)
Finally, BC will get that unquestioned, dominating win.
My Pick: Boston College
Confidence: 5

Bowling Green (4-4) @ Temple (0-8)
I've run out of things to say about how bad Temple is.
My Pick: Bowling Green
Confidence: 4

Vanderbilt (3-5) @ Duke (0-7)
Duke gave Miami a go, so there's actually hope. Still, Vanderbilt actually beat their overrated conference rival.
My Pick: Vanderbilt
Confidence: 2


2:00 PM

BYU (5-2) @ Air Force (3-3)
This looked to be a clash between two MWC undefeateds. Then Air Force lost to conference bottomfeeder San Diego State. Whoops!
My Pick: BYU
Confidence: 2

Army (3-5) @ Tulane (2-5)
Both teams have pretty much been competitive against teams around their own level. Neither's really better than the other, so push goes to home team.
My Pick: Tulane
Confidence: 1

Ball State (2-6) @ Miami of Ohio (1-7)
Miami of Ohio has only beaten Buffalo, but only by a TD. Ball State clearly seems to be the better team, despite their lack of secondary. But neither are any good.
My Pick: Ball State
Confidence: 1

Colorado (1-7) @ Kansas (3-5)
Kansas has been disappointing. But Colorado sucks.
My Pick: Kansas
Confidence: 2

Ohio (5-3) @ Kent State (5-2)
Wow, this is the big MAC showdown for the year. Ohio's been riding a wave of momentum, but so has Kent, and the Golden Flashes' offense has looked better. Plus they're at home!
My Pick: Kent State
Confidence: 2


2:30 PM

Kentucky (3-4) @ Mississippi State (2-6)
Mississippi State suddenly found their offense against the UGA defense of all teams. Kentucky's been inconsistent, but I figure MSU's probably falling back to earth.
My Pick: Kentucky
Confidence: 1


3:00 PM

Florida International (0-7) @ Alabama (5-3)
Yep.
My Pick: Alabama
Confidence: 5


3:30 PM

Minnesota (3-5) @ #2 Ohio State (8-0)
Minnesota's probably the worst team in the Big Ten. Uh oh.
My Pick: Ohio State
Confidence: 4

#3 USC (6-0) @ Oregon State (4-3)
OSU might be without star RB Yvenson Bernard. They probably didn't have a chance with him.
My Pick: USC
Confidence: 4

Georgia (6-2) @ #6 Florida (6-1)
Mississippi State's performance last week pretty much cements that Georgia's defense isn't that great. So...then what DO they have? (A loss.)
My Pick: Florida
Confidence: 3

#19 Nebraska (6-2) @ Oklahoma State (4-3)
OK State seems to be much better than expected this year. Nebraska looked great losing close to Texas, but part of me wonders if they've exhausted themselves. The OSU offense can put up a big game, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them put up a bunch of points and pull off the upset. I won't pick it, though.
My Pick: Nebraska
Confidence: 1

Miami (5-2) @ #24 Georgia Tech (5-2)
Miami's...pretty awful, actually. How the heck are they 5-2? Anyway, this could get ugly if someone on the GT coaching staff realizes Calvin Johnson is on their team. And it could get ugly even if they don't.
My Pick: Georgia Tech
Confidence: 2

Central Florida (2-5) @ Houston (5-3)
Yeah, UCF's fallen back to earth this season. Houston's inconsistent, but one of the better teams in the C-USA.
My Pick: Houston
Confidence: 3

Eastern Michigan (1-6) @ Western Michigan (5-2)
Oh Eastern, you poor, poor, inferior directional Michigan. Since this is a rivalry game and all, EMU may show up to play, so there is a chance of the upset, but ehhhh I doubt it.
My Pick: Western Michigan
Confidence: 2

Wake Forest (6-1) @ North Carolina (1-6)
I don't really buy Wake, but UNC's basketball team may be better than their football team. Well, at football. At basketball too, obviously.
My Pick: Wake Forest
Confidence: 4

North Texas (2-5) @ Troy (2-4)
Neither team has looked good in their Sun Belt games. Troy almost upset FSU that one week, and hey, they're at home! But in general, hooray Sun Belt parity.
My Pick: Troy
Confidence: 1


3:35 PM

Iowa State (3-5) @ Kansas State (4-4)
Bleh. ISU's inconsistent, but KSU's first impression of almost losing to Illinois State still sticks in my brain. In Bret Meyer and Todd Blythe I trust. For the time being.
My Pick: Iowa State
Confidence: 1


4:00 PM

Arkansas State (5-2) @ Florida Atlantic (2-5)
ASU or MTSU is the class of the Sun Belt. Arkansas State's running offense is EASILY the class of the Sun Belt, though. Florida Atlantic...is bad. Usually caveats about Sun Belt parity apply.
My Pick: Arkansas State
Confidence: 2

New Mexico State (2-5) @ Nevada (4-3)
WACKY PASSTASTIC NMSU OFFENSE! That can only beat I-AA teams.
My Pick: Nevada
Confidence: 3

UNLV (1-6) @ Utah (4-4)
Utes, quite inconsistent. UNLV, quite...a year away from being good.
My Pick: Utah
Confidence: 2


4:30 PM

Memphis (1-6) @ Marshall (2-5)
Marshall looked bad to start the year and has built their way up to mediocre (with a scary running back.) Memphis looked mediocre and built their way...up? to just bad.
My Pick: Marshall
Confidence: 2


5:00 PM

Middle Tennessee State (4-3) @ Louisiana-Lafayette (4-2)
Oh, wait, I forgot about ULL. They're probably the class of the Sun Belt. MTSU's one of the better SBC teams, but the Ragin' Cajuns seem to be the most consistently good team in the conference. And hell, they beat Houston!
My Pick: Louisiana-Lafayette
Confidence: 2


5:30 PM

New Mexico (4-4) @ Colorado State (4-3)
Oh damn you, MWC parity. UNM has looked pretty good since losing to Portland State, while CSU was consistently slightly above average until Wyoming killed them this past week. I'll go with the team that's been better lately, but they're probably about even.
My Pick: New Mexico
Confidence: 1


6:00 PM

Louisiana Tech (2-5) @ San Jose State (4-2)
If SJSU's streak of good games was a fluke, they could lose here. It probably isn't, and hell, even if it is, they could still win.
My Pick: San Jose State
Confidence: 3


7:00 PM

#5 Texas (7-1) @ Texas Tech (5-3)
Texas Tech can always pull off the upset, obviously, because of that offense. But they've beaten themselves against inferior defenses.
My Pick: Texas
Confidence: 2

Louisiana-Monroe (1-6) @ #14 Arkansas (6-1)
Hell of a non-conference schedule, there, Arkansas.
My Pick: Arkansas
Confidence: 5

Portland State @ #23 Oregon (5-2)
Hell of a non-conference schedule, there, Oregon.
My Pick: Oregon
Confidence: 5

Akron (3-4) @ Toledo (2-6)
Oh, Toledo, why are you so bad this year. Akron's been disappointing too, but hell, at least they beat NC State.
My Pick: Akron
Confidence: 2

Arizona State (4-3) @ Washington (4-4)
Washington had the disappointing loss to Oregon State. Arizona State had the disappointing seven games before this one.
My Pick: Washington
Confidence: 2

Florida State (4-3) @ Maryland (5-2)
FSU began to get things together near the end of that BC game. The Seminoles could have cause to worry if they face a team who has beaten anyone. However, Maryland is not in that category.
My Pick: Florida State
Confidence: 2

Washington State (5-3) @ UCLA (4-3)
UCLA hanging in there with Notre Dame says more about Notre Dame being overrated than UCLA being, well, worth anything now that they don't have a quarterback.
My Pick: Washington State
Confidence: 2


7:05 PM

#21 Texas A&M (7-1) @ Baylor (4-4)
Baylor? Pretty decent. A&M's looked vulnerable at times, with last week's OK State game being one of those, but the Aggies will probably beat Baylor on the ground. Maybe even through the air, although Baylor is a pretty good passing team. At any rate, there's a chance for an upset, but not as big of a chance as for an Aggie win.
My Pick: Texas A&M
Confidence: 2


7:30 PM

East Carolina (3-4) @ Southern Miss (4-3)
USM's one of the better C-USA teams, and they're at home. ECU is decent, but the Golden Eagle defense could easily shut the Pirates down.
My Pick: Southern Miss
Confidence: 2

Wyoming (4-4) @ TCU (4-2)
Wow, TCU's 0-2 in the MWC. Wyoming had the big Colorado State win, but talentwise, TCU is in the much highter tier of Mountain West teams. The Horned Frogs should win here, and if they don't, the season's probably a lost cause.
My Pick: TCU
Confidence: 2


7:45 PM

#11 Tennessee (6-1) @ South Carolina (5-2)
Tennessee's looked vulnerable, and is still coasting off that Cal win. South Carolina's been improved lately. It's at South Carolina. And I ain't pickin' against Spurrier.
My Pick: South Carolina
Confidence: 1


8:00 PM

Cal Poly @ San Diego State (1-5)
Helluva night game.
My Pick: San Diego State
Confidence: 4


SUNDAY
12:05 AM

Idaho (4-4) @ Hawaii (5-2)
Idaho's way improved, and probably the #4 or so team in the WAC (#5 if Fresno gets their act together.) But I doubt they can stop of catch up with that wacky Hawaii pass offense.
My Pick: Hawaii
Confidence: 3


8:00 PM

Connecticut (3-4) @ #18 Rutgers (7-0)
UConn was able to mostly quiet Slaton and White, but they run outside and down the sidelines. From what I've seen of Rutgers, they run it down the middle. Like Navy. Who ran for 501 against the Huskies. At UConn. Uh oh.
My Pick: Rutgers
Confidence: 3

1 comment:

Matthew C. Keegan said...

Run, Rutgers, Run! I agree with your assessment on how the Rutgers game will turn out. Plus, Northwestern will simply get walloped by Michigan.